Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

sunday reflection; advice needed

Sorry, no wise words today. No lyrics to favorite worship songs. No scripture or quotes from church.

I don't have much to reflect upon except that lack of sleep is not good for anyone.

If anyone has any wise words for me about how to get a three-year old to sleep through the night without waking up and walking down to my room over and over and over and over again, I'd love to hear them! Punkin goes to sleep on his own (as in, he knows how to fall asleep on his own), but once he wakes up in the middle of the night, it's like he no longer has that talent. If he does fall asleep quickly after getting back in bed, he typically wakes back up within 30 minutes (at the most) and is back down the hall standing at the side of my bed. When I walk him down again, he gets upset when I leave the room. It's like he doesn't want to be alone. And it's not like he says he's been having bad dreams or anything. I think he just wants to be with Mommy and Daddy. But WHY does he wake up SO MANY TIMES a night? That doesn't seem normal to me. Any advice? Any words of wisdom? Help? (Oh, just don't tell me to lock him in his room... he'd tear down the door before he let a little lock keep him in.)

P.S. I am loving this season of The Amazing Race! Go Team Jeff & Jordan!

6 comments:

Lori said...

Maybe it is just out of habit - internal clock is used to waking up so many times. You know what I would do if I were in your shoes, but you probably won't like it...
In these situations, you gotta ask WWSND (what would super nanny do)? Keep walking him back to his room and cry it out, baby, cry it out.

AdriansCrazyLife said...

I think I would give him a reason to want to stay in his room. Is there a toy or a movie he has been particularly wanting to have? Give him a chance to earn it by staying in his bed. Let him start out the night with 5 tokens (pennies, marbles, tickets, etc). Then he has to give back one token every time he comes out of his room. When he has a reasonable amount of tokens - say 12 or 15, he earns the item.

Bridget said...

When that started happening to us, someone suggested we take him to the bathroom and then put him back to bed. He may be waking up to go potty, but not really realizing that's why he woke up. Not a guaranteed method, but it worked for us. Good luck!

indymavs said...

Bring him over to our house since he seems to sleep through the night when he has a sleepover ;)
Sorry! Wish i had some real advice for you.
p.s. GO TEAM JEFF & JORDAN!

designHER Momma said...

ugh - I have no wise words. The commenter who suggested the potty sounds promising. I'll pray for sleep for you tonight.

Wendy said...

I'm agreeing with the others that it might be a need to potty. Does he drink anything before bed? Does he go potty right before bedtime?

Only other thing that comes to mind is whether or not he's still taking naps during the day. My 2yo daughter was having the "wake up at 3am ready to start the day" problem until I modified her naptime down to one hour max, and absolutely no napping after 3pm. Just a thought.

Web Statistics

Clicky